CA11 is a utility from Computer Associates that helps to re-run a job multiple times and also to restart from abended steps, taking care of what files to be used when we rerun.
We need to specify a restart parameter that tells CA11 – how we want the job to be run. Valid parameters are nP, nR, nN and more (n = 0,1,2,3,..)
P for Production run (0P, 1P, 2P, .. nP)
- The job will execute from the first step.
- if any file with DISP=(NEW,*,*) already exist in catalogue, it will be deleted and re-created as defined in the current JCL job.
When we submit a job for first time, a parameter of ‘0P’ will be passed.
Due to any failure, if we need to run the job for a second time, and start from first step, pass a parameter ‘1P’.
If that fails again, and you need to run again from the beginning, use ‘2P’. (and so on…)
R for Restart/Rerun (1R, 2R, .. nR)
- the job will start from last abended step
- all the files, GDG file versions used in the last run of the job will be used
- After the failure of first ‘0P’ run, if we want to restart from the failed step, pass ‘1R’ as the parameter. Consecutive restart runs should have ‘2R’ ,’3R’, and so on..
N for Null (1N, 2N,.. nN)
- CA11 utility will not perform anything, and just allow your job to run.
- but for every consecutive run, you need to change the number like 0N, 1N, 2N,.. etc
Note: if you do not change the number n in the parameter you will be getting a user abend U0060 saying that the parameter was not changes since the last run. However if your job has been completed successfully and you are rerunning the job, you do not need to change the number n.
3 thoughts on “CA11-U11RMS Restart utility parameters”
Typrun=F can also be given to run the job from starting step without changing the jobname.
TYPRUN=F replaces P functionality which can also be used to run the job from starting step.
Thanks Bindu and Harsha!